Nnecl members

Sheffield Hallam University

Care Leavers

If you were looked after by a local authority during your childhood, you may be eligible for additional support from Sheffield Hallam University.

We understand that not all people leaving the care system will identify as a ‘care leaver’. You may not wish to tell people this private information about yourself – and this is absolutely fine and your choice. If you do decide to see what support is available for students coming to Sheffield Hallam from care, we will respect your privacy.

To find out about the support on offer for care leavers check out our blog.

SHU Progress

SHU Progress provides support for students, whose personal circumstances might mean that they face barriers to going to university, including those who are care leavers.

If you are going to apply to Sheffield Hallam University, SHU Progress provides additional support in your year of application helping you throughout the application process and beyond.

What support do I get?

Before or when you apply to Sheffield Hallam your teacher or tutor can submit additional information about your personal circumstances on your behalf.

You then get extra support, including:

  • A personal contact at the university who will be there to provide advice and answer your questions throughout the year
  • Exclusive and personal visits to the university, giving you the chance to meet current students and staff who can advise and support you
  • Support with making the best application to us, including workshops on preparing for interviews
  • Support with the costs of visiting the university for our events and for open and offer holder days
  • Exclusive updates from your personal contact that will include details of relevant additional financial or personal support, as well as more general support throughout the year

For more information, please click here.

Student Success Scholarship

Our Student Success Scholarship is dedicated to helping you succeed at Sheffield Hallam. You could receive up to a £2,000 financial award, as well as priority access to programmes designed to support your wellbeing, develop your employability and enhance your money management skills.

How can we help you?

If you apply to Sheffield Hallam you get

a dedicated member of staff to link between you and your local authority

help accessing all our support services

help with your choice of course and accommodation

entry onto SHU Progress (subject to requirements)

You might be able to receive the Care Leaver Bursary, which gives you £1,500 for each year you're studying at Sheffield Hallam.

Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme

The Unite Foundation offers a limited number of scholarships to care leavers and estranged students studying at Hallam. The scholarship funds accommodation for three years of undergraduate study to students aged 25 or under who are estranged from family or care leavers.

For more information, please click here

Other information

Please see our Welcome Booklet below for more information about support at Sheffield Hallam.

See the full range of support available.

Visit Propel for more information about the support we offer.

Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites

Care Leaver Welcome Booklet