B&FC is an Ofsted Grade 1 college and in the top 2% of all colleges in England for school leaver success. We recently celebrated outstanding results among our further education students, which saw them progress to degree-level study and rewarding careers. At B&FC, our focus is giving you the knowledge, skills and experience to prepare for higher education and highly skilled employment. Here you will access industry specialist tutors, cutting edge facilities and an industry placement to provide you with a valuable head start on your chosen future career.
B&FC University Centre offer over 50 degree-level courses, co-created with employers to support progression into and within your chosen career. Over 3,000 students choose B&FC higher education annually, accessing outstanding education that has been awarded the highest Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework. Since the majority of our degree-level qualifications are awarded by Lancaster University (International University of the Year 20201 ), you have the dual benefit of graduating with a UK top 10 university degree.
How we support Looked After Children and Care Leavers in Further education and Apprenticeships
Prior to entry into College:
- visits to College and offer of additional College taster sessions
- meetings arranged with key people to complete initial academic and non-academic assessments, which may include
- specialist support assessment and liaison with the following:
- Social Services
- residential care homes
- foster parents
- virtual high schools
- access to appropriate support and the development of an individual support plan
While at College:
- Up to £1,200 worth of funding (which could include a travel pass and bursary) and free meals if you're in care or receiving certain benefits*
- contact made with the relevant local authority to request a working link with either the social worker or leaving care advisor and to request the Guaranteed Bursary evidence letter
- contact and link established with the student’s external support, eg residential key worker, foster parent, placement
action planning to ensure clear expectations of course requirements
- link with progress tutor and senior tutor to ensure awareness of the needs of the student
- ongoing support, which may include weekly link, check on attendance and direct link with personal tutor
referral and link to specialist internal and external support agencies as required
* Eligibility applies
Aged 16-24 and starting an apprenticeship?
If you're a Care Leaver starting an apprenticeship and aged between 16 and 24, our £1,000 bursary payment will ease the transition into employment and support you during this important time.This will be discussed as part of the financial appointment at the signup meeting for your apprenticeship.
SUCCEED – if you’re studying a degree-level course
SUCCEED is specifically for Care Leavers, carers and students who do not have contact with their families, who are studying at degree level.
Through SUCCEED, these students can access:
- £1,000 bursary for each year of study
- dedicated Higher Education Learning Mentor offering ongoing support
- regular one-to-one study skills and/or wellbeing sessions
- other College services on a priority basis.
If you need to contact us, please email [email protected].
For more information, contact the Student Support and Wellbeing team on Email: [email protected]Phone: 01253 504356
Young people, foster parents, residential staff and external agencies enquiring on behalf of the Looked After Child or Care Leaver can contact us on Email: [email protected] Phone: 01253 504363