At the University of York, widening access for care experienced learners is a priority and we are signatories of the Care Leaver Covenant. Our approach to widening access for care experienced learners is personalised, all-encompassing and far reaching.
We work with children’s services and local councils to provide bespoke events, activities and programmes for young people and their supporters, from primary school onward. Care experienced pre-entry learners are provided personalised information and advice, one to one campus visits (including paying for transport and overnight accommodation for you and a guest), and a dedicated single point of contact who will support you from pre-entry to graduation and beyond.
In order to ensure that your student experience is fulfilling, our offer of support can include the following:
- A contextual offer to study with us
- A place on our Step Ahead induction to prepare you for studying at York and give you the best possible start to university life
- A student buddy who is a second or third year student and can help you settle in, as well as get the most out of your first year
- One-to-one support from our designated contact for care-experienced students
Social opportunities to connect with other students
- Financial support with a Care Leavers Bursary (£3000 in first year, £2500 in continuing years and graduation payment of £1000 in your final term)
- A welcome bedding/kitchen pack and help with moving (suitcases/removal vans)
- Free accommodation for care leavers (up to £130 subsidy per week) on-campus in your first year and then you can decide whether you want it to be applied to on-campus or off-campus accommodation in continuing years
- Flexible accommodation contracts, so you can stay in University accommodation 365 days a year should you wish
- If you don’t have a UK based guarantor, the University will act as your guarantor through our Rent Guarantee Scheme
- Storage of belongings through the summer or on a placement year/year abroad
- Tailored careers, employment and training opportunities
- Free off-peak sports membership (with the option to purchase a full membership at discounted price).
We’re really committed to supporting our care experienced students to achieve their full potential and have an exceptional and transformational experience. More information on our full range of support is available on our website To find out more, please contact our dedicated contact, Fran Hornsby, on [email protected].