The University of Greenwich has been supporting care leavers and care experienced students for over ten years and was one of the first universities in the country to be awarded a kitemark for our commitment to enhance the progression of care leavers into higher education and support those who study with us.
Our Designated Members of staff are here to help and encourage you to access the opportunities offered by the University of Greenwich whilst assisting you with any support that you might need in your education journey. In the past we have assisted our care leaver students with a range of challenges such as career choices, UCAS personal statements, accommodation, financial, academic and well-being; or just had a cup of tea and a chat.
We also have close links with local authorities where we support young children in care through youth and homework clubs, to encourage attainment and facilitate progression into further and higher education.
We are signatories of the Care Leaver Covenant and members of NNECL and the Care Leaver Progression Partnership (a partnership of organisations in Kent and Medway, committed to improving the post-16 education and training experience for local children in care and care leavers).
Our offer, in brief, to care leavers studying at the University of Greenwich:
- Contextual Admissions - a reduction of 16 UCAS points (equivalent to two A-level grades) below the advertised entry tariff for undergraduate courses on our website (including those provided by partner colleges). Eligibility and How to apply
- Accommodation for 365 days a year for the duration of your degree (traditional contract with the option to take out summer accommodation)
- Care Leaver Bursary of £1,500 a year, for up to four years (depending on the length of your undergraduate degree).
- Graduation bursary of £200 to help with graduation costs.
- Greenwich Friends Peer Mentoring/Buddy Scheme to help with your transition into higher education.
- Care Leaver Summer School and Bespoke visits.
- Preparation and Transition Events to welcome new care experienced students to the University of Greenwich.
- Designated Members of Staff to help answer your questions and be a point of contact throughout your studies.
- Please take the time to click on our website Children in care, care leavers and care experienced students | Study here | University of Greenwich where you will find:
- A video from a current care leaver talking about studying at the University of Greenwich.
- A video outlining the support that is available.
- An in-depth Support Booklet detailing all the opportunities and support services that are offered and available to you:
- Pre-entry: through individual online advice and guidance meetings, our Care Leaver Summer School, bespoke visits, webinars, taster days, lectures, workshops, and open days.
- Support with applying to university: UCAS, Personal Statements and finance.
- Finance, accommodation, well-being, academic and employment support.
- A list of external organisations who can offer further support in your education journey.
We also work in partnership with carers, local authorities, schools, and colleges so please contact us at [email protected] with any questions you may have. The earlier that you get in touch the more we can support you in your journey.