At Queen’s University Belfast we are committed to widening access for care experienced learners. Our Widening Participation Unit delivers an outreach programme to develop the literacy, numeracy and emotional literacy skills of children aged 8-12 who are living in care through weekly online sessions with a Queen’s Student Mentor. We also offer priority places to care experienced learners on our outreach programmes that span the length of a learner’s secondary school journey. We work closely with the Health and Social Care Trusts and voluntary agencies to ensure we are providing the best support as early as possible to those who have experienced care.
If you are care experienced and considering higher education, we can offer pre-entry advice and tours.
Once you are a student of Queen’s University, we offer:
- 1:1 support meeting with the Named Contacts for care experienced students and ongoing support from these staff members throughout your journey at Queen’s
- A bursary of £1000 per year *eligibility criteria applies
- Guaranteed Student Accommodation for 365 days a year
- Additional support through our privately funded SUQCESS (Supporting Queen’s Care Experienced Students) to provide financial assistance for items related to your studies
- Regular newsletter contact to inform of specific and general opportunities available, including those that prioritise care experienced students
- Help to access the various support services across the University
- Seasonal opportunities to meet with other care experienced students